lördag 5 februari 2011

US AAA Battery update

Reflecting a bit on my last post on my Bofors 40mm, I went ahead and ordered a couple of half-track quad-.50cals. The reason for this is primarily two-fold:

I've had mixed success with my Bofors. It basically all comes down to deployment, and given our usual gaming table of 6 by 4 foot, 4 large bases tend to take up a lot of space in your deployment area - space that is already needed for artillery pieces and your advancing troops. I don't like bunching my guns up, as that attracts counter-battery fire, so I have had to cram the AAA into sometimes unfavorable terrain.

The other reason is basic mobility. This is especially important on the attack, and as a part of my ongoing struggle to get better at attacking with my infantry, I'm going to give them some close fire support with heavy machine guns in armored cars.

There's also the added benefit of bringing the cost down. With mobile AAA I can take a single section of two vehicles, instead of a full battery of four, cutting points costs by 25 points. That doesn't seem like much, but it represents an extra bazooka team and transports.

I'm going to try painting these vehicles up for the next round of our campaign. This will allow me to flesh an infantry squad out by another section and to take limited air support instead of sporadic. Hopefully this'll help me win that damned round.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar