tisdag 8 februari 2011

To air or not to air

Air support can be such a boon, both on the attack and on the defense. The best us poor Allied saps can get in mid-war is 5 dice, ranging in at about 130-140 points, but I find that having aircraft at your disposal has such a great effect on what your opponent does that it's worth having a few dice of it wether they decide to appear or not.

I use the P-40 Warhawk, which in my opinion is the best US plane of this era (the P-38 Lightning isn't far off, but I'd rather have that extra chance to hit with MGs than that extra point of AT), and the US planes rank fairly low when it comes to effective air power. The British Hurricane IIC and D are pure monsters in comparison, with their AT 11 cannons, capable of murdering tanks and anything else that stand in their way. The German flying tanks are a pain as well, requiring rerolls of successful ack-ack firepower tests. The two latter planes make air power virtually essential for those armies, but for the US, it's more touch and go in my opinion.

I take air power only if I have spare points after getting everything else that I want. I don't make it a priority for me, and I'd rather take AAA than aircraft, although this will no doubt change when I get into late game matches with my US infantry.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar