måndag 31 januari 2011

US Rifle Platoon

This unit is the work horse for my Rifle Company. You have to have at least two, but if you have the points, I'd recommend three. At the moment, I'm experimenting with a three-platoon setup using two sections in each (for points reasons mostly). With a bazooka team (which is basically a must have), such a platoon can lock down an objective until support can arrive.

Using only two sections makes the platoon feel a bit light, but on the other hand, a lot more managable, as it doesn't take as much space. I found fitting Rifle Platoons in my deployment area to be a problem, especially if you want to keep them spread out to avoid being blasted by templates. 6 + 2 teams is easier to fit than 9 + 2. The main problem is that the platoon shrinks rapidly in combat. Losing a team from a 9 + 2 platoon is hardly noticeable, but it's very noticeable with only 6 standard teams. When used in assaults, two platoons supporting each other is basically mandatory with this setup.

Playing larger points battles - like 1750 pts and above - I will definitely use full platoons with all the bells and whistles, probably including attached LMGs from a Weapons Platoon.

When it comes to transports, I am a bit vary of putting my guys in unarmored 2 1/2 ton trucks - I can't use armored halftracks for a mid war rifle company - so thus far I've been footslogging it across the battlefield. It doesn't matter too much in a defensive battle, but I've found myself having to attack more and more, so I might have to get some wheels for my troopers. For 25 points I get 8 trucks, and that should be plenty. The problem is that I have to keep the trucks out of the enemy's field of fire, or my guys are toast. I'm going to try it out in a non-competitive game.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar